6 Tips for Flossing Success
- September 15, 2020
Good oral hygiene habits are more important now than ever before, because many of us may wait a few months longer than usual to get a professional dental cleaning. Check out our six tips to help you get the most out of flossing, something you should be doing every day:
- Find a Floss You Like – There’s plenty of variety in dental floss. Try different kinds of floss until you find the one that works best for you. Many folks like waxed floss. Some like flavored floss. Since floss is so inexpensive, it won’t cost much to experiment.
- Use Tools to Make Flossing Easier – We’re happy to show you the right technique, to increase your odds of flossing success. That said, it can be hard to get the hang of it. Plus, some people have small mouths or other characteristics that make flossing a challenge. If that’s true for you, picks or pre-threaded flossers can make it easier to get the job done.
- Keep Floss Out in the Open – Many of us keep floss in a drawer or medicine cabinet. It’s easier to remember if you keep your floss in a higher profile spot, such as next to your toothbrush.
- Develop a Regular Flossing Routine – The key to flossing success is doing it at the same time every day, so it becomes a habit. A good time to floss is right before brushing your teeth, either first thing in the morning or before turning in for the night.
- Tackle Flossing One Tooth at a Time – If flossing seems too time consuming, start out by flossing just one tooth. Add a tooth every day until you’re flossing your entire mouth. You’ll pick up speed with more practice.
- Make Time for Flossing – While on-the-fly flossing is no substitute for a good oral hygiene routine, it makes sense to keep floss available in places where you can easily sneak in a quick floss. For example, if you find yourself frequently stuck in traffic during your commute, consider keeping floss in your car.
We hope to see you soon at Total Dental Care of South Carolina! For updates on our schedule or if you need emergency dental assistance, call us today at 803-272-4162.