5 Tips to Stop Snoring
- May 15, 2021
If you snore, chances are you’d like to stop – and so would everyone else in your household who is bothered by the noise. Wearing a mouthguard from Total Dental Care of South Carolina will keep your airway open all night, to help you breathe easily and stop snoring.
A mouthguard on its own can treat mild to moderate cases of sleep apnea. For more severe cases, you may be advised to use a CPAP machine. There may be other options, however. A mouthguard can still work if you follow these other tips to stop snoring:
- Lose some weight – The more overweight you are, the more likely you are to snore and to suffer from sleep apnea. Ask your doctor for tips on losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight.
- Stop smoking – Smoking results in inflamed tissues in your mouth and throat, which disrupts your sleep. If you stop smoking, you are less likely to snore – and you’ll experience other health benefits too.
- Skip the bedtime drink or sedative – If you aren’t sleeping well, you may drink alcohol before bed or take a sedative to help you relax. Yet they can make it more difficult to breathe while you sleep, which results in snoring.
- Change your sleep position – Use pillows to keep your head elevated can help keep your airway open so you breathe more easily. Sleeping on your side instead of your back also helps keep your airway clear.
- Use a humidifier – A humidifier helps eliminate nasal congestion and clear your sinuses, which makes it easier to breathe during the night.
Bonus: In addition to improving your sleep, these tips can also improve your overall health and eliminate uncomfortable symptoms associated with sleep apnea like dry mouth, headaches, and daytime fatigue.
To schedule a sleep apnea consultation in Columbia, SC, call Total Dental Care of South Carolina today at 803-272-4162.