A dental crown is a resin or porcelain covering that encases the entire visible portion of a tooth. Crowns are often used to restore a tooth that is too damaged for dental fillings, inlays, and onlays. Crowns also cover flaws like discoloration that does not respond to teeth whitening and teeth that are too small. But with CEREC crowns, you can get the solution you need on the same day. Your Columbia, SC dentist may recommend a crown to:
- Hold a broken tooth together
- Protect a weak tooth
- Replace a large filling
- Anchor a fixed bridge in place
- Restore a tooth after root canal therapy
- Cover dental implants
Dr. Forbes uses CEREC (CEramic REConstruction) technology to make beautiful, permanent crowns while you wait. The CEREC system is a combination of 3D imaging, computer-aided design (CAD/CAM), and an in-house mill that carves the crown out of a block of ceramic. Since everything is automated, there’s no need for a laboratory technician. The crown is created in an hour or two and fitted on the same day!
Why Choose CEREC Crowns?
One-day crowns in our Columbia dental clinic are custom-made with high-quality ceramic. Some advantages of CEREC crowns over traditional crowns:
- CEREC crowns can be made in as little as an hour and placed in one visit. It saves you time because you don’t have to skip work or use up your vacation days to go to the dentist.
- No need to wear a plastic or temporary crown that may leak and get discolored.
- Because your mouth is mapped out with 3D images, there’s no need for messy impressions.
- CEREC crowns can be color-matched to your existing teeth for the most natural look. Ceramic crowns also have the same characteristics as tooth enamel.
- If the crown causes bite problems, it can easily be adjusted with on-site equipment.
You’ll only need to make one visit to our office to have beautiful CEREC crowns placed!
Dental crowns can be made of all-metal, all-porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, or composite resin. The material depends on the location of the tooth to be replaced, your preferences, and your budget. Resin crowns are the most affordable, but they are prone to wear and fracture. All-metal crowns are used for back teeth that receive the most stress, while all-porcelain is recommended for front teeth and teeth that show when you smile.
Why Choose Metal-Free Crowns?
Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns combine the best of both worlds: durability and aesthetics. However, the metal can show through the porcelain covering as a dark line, especially if your gums recede. Alloys can also contain substances that may cause adverse or allergic reactions. Metal-free crowns made of inert and biocompatible materials eliminate these problems.
- All-ceramic crowns mimic the properties of tooth enamel, including the way it reflects light. This creates a natural, dimensional look.
- All-ceramic crowns are recommended for people with metal allergies.
- The shade of porcelain can be matched exactly to your natural teeth.
- All-ceramic is a good choice for front teeth and strong enough even for back teeth.
At Total Dental Care in Columbia, our Columbia, SC dentist uses only the highest-quality ceramic to create custom metal-free crowns, inlays, onlays, and other restorations.
If you want to experience the benefits of CEREC metal-free crowns, call 803-272-4162 now to find out how you can get a permanent dental crown in one visit. You can also schedule a consultation with our Columbia, SC dentist Dr. Forbes using our online form. Your damaged teeth will have their function and beauty returned to them when they are capped with metal-free CEREC one-day crowns!